Below are two governors. The one on the left legalized pot. The one on the right is apparently smoking it.
Gov.Bill Haslam is known for making insipid statements, which RTP has dutifully recorded from time to time. But even we were surprised when he coughed up this gem:
“For me, it shouldn’t be about the name and what we call it, the battle should be about: Are we going to have high standards or not…”
Put aside the fact for a moment that Haslam was in Denver providing a PR plug for Hickenlooper, a very liberal Democrat, who is in a very close race for re-election in two weeks (He couldn’t drive 20 minutes to help Rep. Courtney Rogers, but he could fly across the country to help a Democrat? And you wonder why conservatives are suspicious of this guy?)
But back to our meme:
Really? You think by just changing the name of Common Core that will somehow kiss the boo-boo and make it go away? What an insult to the intelligence of the people of Tennessee and to the legislature.
Okay, let’s go over this one more time, governor, because you apparently did not understand it the first umpteen times you were told:
- It’s not about higher standards — everyone wants higher standards, Bill. But what Tennesseans do not want are standards that were created in Washington by left-wing activists with liberal agendas. To say you are for higher standards is akin to going to Neyland Stadium on game day and standing up and shouting “I’m for Tennessee and I’m not ashamed to admit it!”
- You can create all the standards you want, but if you allow Pearson and their ilk to create and administer the expensive Common Core tests, then teachers will naturally “teach to the test” and will teach Washington‘s version of standards and not Tennessee’s. You KNOW that is true, governor, but you are either too stubborn or too dishonest to admit it.
- You have spent millions of our tax dollars pursuing an agenda that teachers, students and parents have overwhelmingly resisted and condemned, yet you persist in seeking to spend even more. You say you like Vanderbilt studies, governor. Well why don’t you acknowledge this one?
- You have treated the legislature like fools, while politically and personally attacking those legislators who disagree with you. You weren’t even man enough to say it yourself – but sent your surrogates and your consultants to do your dirty work for you. You think those legislators — even those who generally support you – didn’t see through rank cowardice? You taught legislators a lesson with your attacks — but it was the wrong lesson. You violated the trust of your own party and the GOP caucus. Don’t think they won’t remember that.
- Kevin “I Voted for Obama” Huffman is still your Education Commissioner. Huffman is a self-serving, self-dealing opportunist, who is not from Tennessee, who has been documented doing multi-million no-bid deals with his old employers with our tax money, who couldn’t even get the TCAP score reported on time and who likely manipulated the scores to save your sorry education agenda. And yet he is still on the job. That speaks — no screams — volumes about your judgment and your competence as a leader.
Okay, got it now? Keep hanging out with your left-wing Democrat pals like Hickenlooper and you will be duly rewarded in time. We hear he’s got a dime bag with your name on it.